FOOD PROCESSING INDUSTRY
- The Indian Food industry is the world's fifth largest in terms of production, consumption
- The industry, though dominated by unorganized sector, is estimated at around 190
billion today and is likely to reach 300 billion by 2015.
- With land area of 2.97 Million Sq Kilometers, 180 Million Ha of arable land ( one
tenth of the world) , 56 Million Ha irrigated land and a coast line of 8000 Kilometers
and its diverse agro climatic condition, all these factors favor India to become
the global food factory of the world.
THE VISION 2015 DOCUMENT RELEASED IN 2005 ENVISAGES
- Trebling the size of the processed food sector by 2015
- Increasing the vitality of processing perishables from 6% to 20%
- Value addition from 20 % to 35%
- need to be focused share in global food trade from 1.5% to 3 %
- Modern processing technologies
- Backward and forward linkages
- Emphasis on R & D
- Food safety& Quality
- Creation of integrated cold chain facilities
- Creation of adequate numbers of trained / skilled personnel
- To increase the level of processing of fruits and vegetables from the Current level
Food processing is the key to the viability of agriculture sector. Food processing
sector is growing at an average ration of 13.5% per annum. Food Processing Industries
have been placed in Banks priority list for lending.
KEY SEGMENTS OF THE INDUSTRY
- Fruits & Vegetables processing
- Grain processing
- Fisheries sector
- Dairy Processing
- Meat Processing
- Consumer food industries
FOREIGN DIRECT INVESTMENT POLICY
100% FDI is allowed under automatic route in food processing industry and food infrastructure
including food parks, distillation and brewing of alcohol, cold storage chain and
LEVEL OF PROCESSING
India Process about less than 3% of fruits & vegetables as against level of USA
80%, Malaysia 80%, France 70%, Thailand 30%
- eFresh's objective -The information on the food processing units and their raw material
requirements will help the farmers to identify the units for marketing their produce.
It also helps the food processing units to identify the suppliers and mandi profiles
for procuring required raw materials for their units.