India is largest producer, consumer and exporter of spices in the world. India has
produced 4.66 Million Tons of spices during the year 2006 - 07 (Source: Spice Board,
- Spices exports Cross Rs 10K cr mark
- The total area under spice cultivation was
2.64 Million Ha (2006 - 07).
- The important Spices in the Indian context
are - Chilies, Cardamom, Ginger, Turmeric and Saffron.
- Spice board, under the Ministry of Commerce
and Industry, GOI is responsible for Development of Indian Spices in different States
in the Country and Knowledge promotion of Indian Spices across the world (www.indianspices.com/)
- eFresh's objective -The information on India's
leading position in Spices, will facilitate the Indian farmers and other stakeholders
for focusing on the increased activity in spice production.